Friday, September 25, 2020

This week's good things

This week it has certainly felt like spring is in the air and this coming weekend sees the start of our Daylight Savings hours. It's also the end of another school term for Hannah, then she has a two week break before the last term of the school year starts. I have a few days off from work each week planned, a couple of the days I'll be at the local church hall with Hannah as she has her yearly dancing exams for ballet, tap and jazz. I'm also hoping to spend some time at my sewing machine, working on some little projects.

So onto this week's good things:

One of my favourite NZ authors, Nicky Pellegrino, released a new book a few months ago and I finally reached it in my to read pile.  This is the story of Vivi, a transplant recipient and the journey she takes to find the others her donor helped. A lovely story.

I also finished this stand alone book by Lucinda Riley. She has several books that I've yet to read so my aim is to try and read a few of these before the next Seven sisters book comes out.

The Olive Tree is told from mostly the perspective of  thirteen year old Alex, both in the summer of 2006 and then fast forwards ten years. Set in Cyprus, this would be an ideal holiday read.


On the weekend Glenn and I were invited to have lunch with recent clients of our kitchen joinery business. Glenn provided all the joinery for their new build at Shoal Bay, Central Hawkes Bay, and this is the gorgeous view we had for the afternoon. Shoal Bay is not far from the beach we visit every summer. Also, I was very pleased to meet Charity Norman at this lunch, an author whose books I've read several of this year.




Glenn and I have been working on few projects around the house and this little tub Glenn has made to grown beans in this summer.


Our vegetable gardens have been planted with new seedlings, mostly ones grown in our greenhouse, and the celery, silver beet and the last remaining winter cabbages have done well, even though it has been quite a dry winter.


I spent a few hours planting up seeds for summer - lettuces, cucumbers, capsicums, caulis, cabbages and the local supermarket has a promotion running, free seeds with pots so I've been planting these too each week.  I've told Glenn we might just need another garden to grow everything!


The gardens at work are filled to the brim with spring bulbs right now so I couldn't resist picking a few of my favourite freesias, they smell divine.

See you soon xx


4 comments:

Susie said...

So picturesque. I also enjoy Lucinda Riley although I think I've only read two of her books. I must make them a priority. We have three listed for our bookclub this month as we are still in lockdown in Melbourne, a little easier to read at the moment. Take care

Marilyn said...

Beautiful pics & flowers.
Marilyn

butterfly said...

Great post .
looks like you are returning into warmer weather and we are just going into cooler weather.
You are going to have lots of lovely veg this year.
Beautiful photos .
Have a great weekend .

Tammy said...

Your beds are awesome! Enjoy your springtime!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...